Belize is one of the world’s top travel destinations in the world that offers captivating and spectacular attractions and plenty of fun-filled adventure and activities. In this article, we’ll give you ten reasons why Belize should be on top of your travel bucket list.
There are Plenty of Cool Places to Stay in Belize
Aside from trying so many exciting things to do in Belize, there are plenty of options for cool places to stay, too. You can choose from different options such as campgrounds, live-aboard vessels, guesthouses, Belize vacation rentals, condominiums, hotels, luxury resorts, and more. From north to south and east to west, here are some of the top best places to visit in Belize.
- San Ignacio Town – An ideal base to explore ancient Maya cities such as Xunantunich, and Caracol. San Ignacio Town is the main town in the District of Cayo of western Belize. Hiking, bird watching, horseback riding, and kayaking are the top-rated outdoor activities in this town.
- Caye Caulker – An ideal base for diving adventures and snorkeling. Caye Caulker is a small island off the coast of Belize.
- Placencia – A perfect destination for fly-fishing, kayaking, snorkeling, and scuba diving. Placencia is located in the district of Stann Creek.
- Ambergris Caye – Best place for snorkeling, deep-sea fishing, sail boating to other islands and for scuba diving. Ambergris Caye is the most popular island in the northern part of Belize.
- Hopkins – This a great place for tourist and travelers who are looking to experience the unique culture and history of Belize.
- South Water Caye – Located only 10 miles off the coast of Hopkins and Dangriga. South Water Caye is a great place for people who love diving, fishing, snorkeling and education activities.
- Sarteneja – Quaint and picturesque Mestizo and Creole community that sits on a tropical bay setting in the North Eastern Sea point of Belize.
Try Different Belizean Delicacies
Because of its diverse culture, food is also a reflection of how diverse Belize is. It is reflected in their food and drinks, making Belize Central America’s most varied cuisine. When it comes to cuisine, Belize is both a literal and figurative melting pot, which is why you can stick around for more than a week and try new taste sensations without repeating your menu selections. You should include on your list of food to try in Belize these ten distinct ethnic dishes:
- Tamales – Belize tamales don’t taste like those you’ve eaten elsewhere. Their tamales recipes often meet regional tastes, so menus may make reference to the variety of bollos, torteado, or collado.
- Cow Foot Soup – This is one of the signature dishes in Belize. Usually served with habanero pepper sauce for more heat, white rice, and corn tortillas
- Pibil – A dish marinated to park, buried to slow cook and wrapped in leaves. Usually served with tortillas.
- Chimole – This is a main course soup that is made with spices, veggies, and chicken.
- Sere – A flavorful fish soup with a blend of coconut milk, plantain, cassava, and fried fish.
- Rice and Beans – This is not your typical rice and beans you tried elsewhere. Belize’s rice and beans is cooked in Creole style.
You can also try other famous Belizean delicacies such as Boil Up, Panades, and Salbutes.
Enjoy the Sub-Tropical Climate of Belize
The climate in Belize is sub-tropical, making it the best travel destination all throughout the year. The temperature ranges normally from 50 degrees to 95 degrees Fahrenheit. November to January are the coolest months of the year and the months of May to September are the warmest.
Experience Belize’s Mayan Ruins
In an ancient history, Belize was once home to over 2 million Mayas and is the heart of the famous Maya world. The civilization of Maya has left its permanent mark in the landscape of the country, leaving Maya’s legacy in numerous ancient structures like pyramids, agriculture, temples, mathematics, science, and palaces. Some of Belize’s famous Mayan sites are Nim Li Punit, Lubaantun, Cerros, Barton Creek Cave, Lamanai, Cahal Pech, Santa Rita, Caracol, Xunantunich, and Altun Ha.
Discover the Colorful Culture of Belize
Belize is a diverse in cultures, with a mixture of German, Mennonites, Indian, Spanish, Garinagu, Maya, and many other cultures like Lebanese and Chinese. You’ll definitely amaze with all these different cultures that can be found in Belize.
Take an Adventure in the most Extensive Cave System of Belize
Caves are part of the history of Belize as it is one of the fundamental parts of Mayan religion. Get amazed at some of the world’s most extensive cave systems with stunning lime rock formations beneath the country’s surface. You’ll notice some of the signs of previous visitations, activities, and relics that are still visible today. One of the famous caves that you should visit on your vacation in Belize is the Actun Tunichil Muknal.
Enjoy Belize Barrier Reef
The Mesoamerican Barrier Reef spans over 185 miles of Belize’s blue waters and it is a world heritage site and one of the largest barrier reefs in Western Hemisphere and Northern Hemisphere. Because of its barrier reef, a lot of visitors come to experience this reef, islands and Belize’s over 400 white sand beaches. It has over 100 varieties of fish species, corals, and other marine life.
Explore the Rainforest of Belize
Tourists come to see and venture inland flock to Belize and explore the rainforest, which is heavily populated with thousands variation of trees, flowers, and plants. Belize has 250 varieties of hibiscuses, colorful poinsettias, flowering aroids and bromeliads, orchids, and many other rare and unique trees and flowers.
Look for Belize Incredible Fauna
There are more than 543 varieties species of birds in Belize and you can found most of them in the rainforest. Most spotted animals in the forest of Belize are the pumas, ocelot, mountain cow, large rodents, monkeys, margay, and wildcats.
Experience the best Scuba Diving in the World
Belize is considered as one of the best scuba diving spots in the world. It is still very virgin when it comes to diving and is also shaping up to be an excellent diving and snorkeling spot. Its marine life is diverse and rich. Its rock formations and corals are excellent. And today, more and more diving spots are being discovered. The barrier reef offers an exceptional site for diving which includes Lighthouse Reef Atolls, Glover’s Reef Atoll, and Turneffe Island.
Great Snorkeling Spot for Families
Aside from one of the best scuba diving spots in the world, Belize is also considered as one of the best snorkeling travel destinations. You can choose from the variety of snorkeling spots like Shark-Ray Alley, Hol Chan Marine Reserve, and Caye Caulker. Since the climate in Belize is tropical and so constantly humid and hot, you can go snorkeling all through the year. During the rainy season, from June to November, the water can reduce its clearness and make outings a little bit tricky.
Cacao Harvesting and Chocolate Making at the Maya Communities in Toledo
Belize is also a great place to learn how to make your own chocolate from scratch. You can experience also how to harvest the raw cacao and make it a chocolate using the same procedure on how Mayan did it for more than a thousand year.
Stunning Remote Un-inhabited Islands
Belize is also a home to over 200 islands and most of them are uninhabited and untouched. Venture out these islands and experience the eternal deserted island fantasy.
Go to the Off-the-Beaten Track
Home of over 200 stunning islands, Belize is a great place to experience some of the uninhabited and untouched islands. Discover the country’s best-kept secret and venture these off the beaten track.
In conclusion, Belize is the perfect vacation place for everyone looking for a great adventure and attractions.